At Time to Shine we see and read a lot of interesting stories and resources about older people. We will share a few of these with you each month.
Here’s the latest selection.
- Govt misses fifth social care paper deadline (Cover)
- Making age-friendly neighbourhoods inclusive (Ambition for Ageing)
- Age discrimination is taking a toll on people’s health (Rights Info)
- Mental health problems don’t end with age. Older people need help too. (Guardian)
- Ageism may increase people’s risk of ill-health study finds (Guardian)
- Age Friendly Leeds is officially one of the eight Best City Priorities in Leeds’ Best Council Plan, 2019/20-2020/21
- Opportunity to contribute to Talking Benches project (Leeds Social Sciences Institute)
- The photography exhibition giving a voice to Britain’s older trans people (Dazed)
- Drug trips, not broken hips: let later life be the age of irresponsibility (Guardian)
- Tech for good – combating loneliness (Digital Leaders)
- Could a chat with a bot help improve mental health? (Digital Leaders)
- Different kinds of loneliness: having poor quality relationships is associated with greater distress than having too few (British Psychological Society)
- Wisdom Conversations – bringing together socially isolated local people in Leeds, with people who want to practice their English
- Compassionate ageism: reinforcing ‘the terror of age; the weak, catastrophic victim of age’ (Independent Age)
- Ageing without children – it’s an inequalities issue (Ageing well without children)
- Older and Wiser (6 takes on some very contemporary issues) (BBC Ideas)
You can subscribe to Later Life AGEnda free email newsletter, produced by Tony Watts, for a huge range of stories about older people. There are many other sources.