Here is a brief selection of our recent work, and what we expect to be doing next month.
In July, among other activities, we have…
- sent out our 2nd Trending Elders survey.
- published an independent evaluation of the Travel Connections programme , a separate executive summary, and our own end of programme summary.
- opened the Household Support Fund in partnership with Forum Central
- received applications for the Hey Neighbour grant scheme
- collated quarterly monitoring returns from Enhance delivery partners
- welcomed Tony Mullin as our new Friendly Communities Officer
- supported the Age Friendly Steering Group on a site visit to Leeds Train Station at the request of Network Rail
- supported Phd student Stephanie Scott with a focus group at Institute of transport studies, Leeds University on inclusivity in sustainable transport.
- won a bid, to Zurich Community Trust (from Friendly Communities and the Older People’s public health team) to deliver a campaign on improving home air quality.
- held a Dementia Friends session for staff at Foundry Lane Surgery in Seacroft, (one of our Age and Dementia Friendly organisations)
- ran our first Wise Up to Ageism webinar for an organisation outside Leeds (delivered by the Good Practice Mentor). The hard work of our Friendly Communities team creating online materials is helping us reduce ageism.
- published posters to promote the Enhance programme, showing what 3rd sector delivery partners do, who to refer to in each part of Leeds, and how to refer. All can be downloaded.
- launched Brighter Days fund, to support older people through the cost of living crisis
In August 2023, we expect to…
- deliver an online welcome session to new Age Friendly Ambassadors
- deliver the Age Friendly Steering Group’s site report on Leeds Train Station to Network Rail.
- do an audit of memory groups to check what is open, what has changed and what is important to people attending the groups
- work with the Age Friendly Steering Group and Rachel O’Gorman (City Centre Officer, Leeds City Council) on the new city centre access map.
- work with a Good Practice Mentor colleague from Camden to devise a new training course to help people make the best of warm spaces next winter.